View Single Post
Old 10-12-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
Sorry Raab.. But you are emotional because of what has happened around you, and are not thinking straight..

The time commitment alone would kill this "volunteer" aspect of it, with all the training (and retraining), then the actual time for "policing".

One sentence your stating these "volunteers" would assist RCMP on dangerous situations, and the next you'd say they would only help with these basic crimes.. I don't know who you think is committing all these crimes, but the vast majority of them are crack heads/lifers feeding their habits. In other words, they are dangerous as was proved by the situations that happened to your neighbors. Your solution wouldn't work for your situation.

Notice I haven't even mentioned the liability part.. (which is why this is a no-go).

As I mentioned, Why not discuss the situation with your neighbors (and local LEO), and create a watch, but make it a visible watch. Switch nights with your neighbors driving up and down the roads with an orange flashing light on the roof and a security sign slapped on the side. That alone would deter most criminals. Remember, the same reason you bought in the country (peace and quiet) is the same reason criminals are finding these "easy" targets.

Put up signs saying "smile your on camera", buy some cheap fake cameras, and place them near the sign.
They won't be policing very much if they only go to serious calls and apprehensions. A bit of Patrol every now and then. Like I said no ticketing or traffic stops. Most communities dont have that much serious crime so they wont be called out often. The biggest thing would be that criminals would know someone is coming and they will be arrested if they do commit a crime. They dont have 40 minutes to sit their hold you at gun point and steal your gasoline and vehicles.

As I said we need to do something or some innocent farmer is going to end up in jail for shooting a crackhead. You yourself said these people could be(IMO ARE) dangerous, and youre alright leaving people alone waiting 40 minutes for a police officer to respond. Give you head a shake man. Now whether they're volunteers or paid on call (meaning they get paid a small amount for hours on call and full wages when they get called out) they would still have all the training a peace officer in Alberta receives. Only difference is they would specialize in apprehension and S&R. I know a few farmers around my place who are ex military. They're already talking about how we solve this issue.