View Single Post
Old 02-11-2019, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
I'll also add this, search the job marketing sites for some of your ideas.... see how many options are actually out there up for grabs

I spent 5yrs, and went $48,000 in student loan debt pursuing a BSc Chemistry, turned into a BSc Ecology. I am now a welder..... there were no jobs to be had, and they paid less than our new minimum wage is at now. Ended up turning my summer job as a welders helper into my career.

Mech Eng. - I work with a mid 20's guy who got this degree 3yrs ago, super smart and top of his class. He couldn't get a job with his degree, and joined our company as a welder. Said after grad, only 2 out of 60 grads had jobs lined up.

Just something to think about.
Some good advice!
I’ve considered the blue seal but based on employers I’ve talked too and what I’ve seen in industry it seems like it won’t necesarrily get you off the tools any faster than just being good at what you do. I could be wrong on this also but it doesn’t seem like it’s really respected as a business degree equivalent outside of industry either. it’s worth looking into again though I really haven’t given much thought since the start of my apprenticeship.

The getting trained to be a trainer advice is something I’ve never considered
But thinking about guys I’ve worked with that had various tickets to train are definitely a bigger asset to the company and more employable.

Haha searching indeed for jobs right now is rather depressing.
Didn’t realize how few helicopter jobs existed in Alberta.
Not much for power linesmen either.

And university scares me, I don’t even know how many similar stories I’ve run into about people going into all kinds of debt and graduating to mowing lawns for years after. Seems like it’s shoved down your throat so much in high school that a lot of people just assume it’s the next logical step.
Seems like it takes 8 years of schooling to matter in a lot of careers with a few exceptions. A BSc in any of the sciences could be useful later on down the road though and might making moving into management as a welder easier in the future.

I appreciate your post, do you regret going to university in hindsight?