Thread: VX-Freedom
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
I picked up one in 1-4x20 with the pig plex to put on a 308. Held zero very well for a few range visits and tracked very well using the 4 corner box method. Something else caught my eye so I sold the rig.

At the time I was also fooling with two 30-06 rifles, one with a VX2 3-9x40 and one with an Elite 3200 3-9x40. It was flip a coin as to which was a clearer scope the Elite or the VX2 but both were clearer and seemed better built than the Freedom model.

Looking into a light morning or evening sky, the Freedom scope presented some vailing that was like a pinkish haze. Better than some and still acceptable in the price range. The Elite and VX2 had very slight vailing and hardly even noticeable.

The outer edge clarity was superior in the VX2, acceptable in the Elite and borderline acceptable on the Freedom.

The reticle was crystal clear on the Elite and VX2. The VX2 was the finest and for pin point range work it was much easier to tune. Although I prefer the heaver reticle of the Elite for hunting it was almost cumbersome at distance compared to the VX2. The pig plex reticle on the Freedom was obviously not designed for pin point accuracy. It has a circle type thing going on and inside the circle was like a no go zone. It was not clear in that area and this particular one made it very difficult to fine tune.

I own and hunted a Vari-X 111 1-5x20 for many years and it was also a much clearer scope, all be it to younger eyes. One thing I loved about the Vari-X 111 was the generous eye box. You could shoot this particular rifle from the most awkward of positions and still manage a good sight picture. The Freedom is not as generous and in fact is less forgiving than the VX2. The eye relief was ample however and I would be fine putting one on a heavy hitting rifle.

Anyway, IMO it is lower end of VX1 to maybe even Rifleman quality but more than acceptable for a hunting scope. It was very sleek, light weight and looked very nice in quality mounts. I would never buy the pig plex again but for close range, fast action and potentially dangerous game, as it was designed for, it would be more than adequate.
See, for the price and the name that's what I would have expected, an upgraded Rifleman. Not sure where these rumors of superior glass, or Leupold having streamlined their production and now being able to sell vxII quality at a vxI price, are coming from. Has anyone else done any actual comparisons on the Freedom series against other scopes in the price range?