Thread: Jawjacker...
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spank View Post
Info on the microtech website says the rods I have are solid fiberglass blanks. They sure have some backbone to them for fibreglass I must say. I have an older Berkley graphite ice rod from way way back in the day (early 80’s) and there is no way it would work. It has backbone on steroids. Its been my deepwater laker rod for over 30 years.
Fiberglass does not always insinuate poor quality or flimsy as many people believe.

Most people just think this because of how Ugly Stiks are and because good fiberglass rods are not as common anymore. Fiberglass rods have a few advantages and disadvantages, mostly related to flexibility and durability which is why you mainly see it in durable rods(like Ugly Stik), trolling rods and heavy duty rods(White Sturgeon and offshore rods etc which are usually a combination of fiberglass and graphite).

Fiberglass rods can also come in a variety of qualities, a good example of this is to go compare an ugly stick ice fishing rod to an automatic fisherman ice fishing rod. They are both fiberglass but you will notice a significant difference between the two.

My main ice fishing rod that I use now is a custom rod made from a good quality fiberglass blank which has a Light power tip but almost MH backbone.