View Single Post
Old 07-02-2010, 09:39 AM

First off, I have said it before on this forum and I'll say it again. I am Metis and proud of my heritage. I keep hearing about all these trophy animals that were taken during the IMHA but there hasn't been much proof shown that this was happening. Lots of rumors, not much proof .I'm not so gullible to believe there weren't a few that took advantage of the situation but I have to wonder why in these days of high speed technology there weren't pictures/videos taken and sent to the CO's along with witness reports? Wouldn't one think that the CO's would have investigated these allegations and there would be documented proof, even if no charges were laid. Call a cop to report something, they make reports. Any involvement by a government agency requires documentation. My take on this situation is that this may require more litigation but at the end of the day, the Alberta government is not going to have any luck convincing the courts that the Metis people never crossed this imaginary line that " Ted " seems to think existed in this province. I have to say that the MNA has made many changes for the better with regards to the genealogy history and screening requirements involved. This has been mentioned by a few other people that have posted in here and the information is on the MNA website. There is no doubt in my mind that to be recognized as a Metis person is not as simple as many are led to believe. I also believe that there are solutions out there that the MNA and the government can agree on that will solve this " the sky is falling " mentality that is prevalent. In my opinion, restricting the areas the Metis people are allowed to hunt to one small part of the province will not be one of them. There are many people out there that seem to think that the Metis situation is going to be the downfall of sport hunting in this province. This in itself is cause for alarm. One simply has to look back and see what has transpired when the focus was on the IMHA issue. Ramp, OS, increase non resident hunting .................