View Single Post
Old 07-02-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
It's part of my heritage too!

Last i checked, hunting and fishing was all mankinds heritage! unless some can prove to me they had a Mcdonalds or Safeway in ancient Greece, Babalon or the caveman years.
Pottymouth,

I think some of us are missing the big picture here on the forum.

Aboriginals and their rights are the Law of the Land in Canada. On the forum we are solely focussed on hunting. These aboriginal rights are not about hunting per se, they are about all rights, language, education, culture etc...

Take the little old Aboriginal lady in the wheel chair, for example, who could not hunt even if she wanted to. Tha Alberta Government is trying to bully her out of her rights and she is outraged by it. Not because of hunting, because she can not hunt, but because an oppressive Government is trying to extinguish her people. This little old lady at one time in her life experienced the tradegies inflicted on Aboriginal people by Governments et al. Residential school, Indian Act, etc... To the Aboriginals this is not about hunting, it is about rights and survival as a Nation with in a Nation. Hunting is the only real thing that the Aboriginals could use to get the Government into court, but believe this, it is not only about hunting. Hunting is only a very small part of it. I am not moaning and groaning for the little old lady, she does not need anyones sympathy. She is proud and a fighter.

I take pride in the rich history in Canada that we all share collectively, whether the history is Aboriginal or non Aboriginal. This is one of the greatest countries in the World. For the most part all of are Ancestors, white or non white, are hardy souls that justifiably give us a sense of pride.

Aboriginals know that their rights can be extinquished, do the non Aboriginals know that their rights also can be extinquished in a heart beat by Governments that are led by people with special interests? I think that some do as Alberta has seen enough of that in the very recent past with in the hunting community.

Thanks,
Rafter