View Single Post
Old 12-12-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckistanian View Post
He does have insurance and WCB coverage and is a registered contractor with the city of Calgary. He happens to be one of my neighbors and offered to do the framing since he's a journeyman carpenter and is trying to build up a new business. I should have trusted my gut at the beginning and not used him but figured there wasn't much to go wrong since its just a basic garage build. Overall quality looks really good from his end but I will wait until the building inspection is completed to give him full payment.

We discussed the labour cost on at least 2 occasions prior to commencing work and we both agreed on the $1800. What killed him on labour was he took 5 and a half days and had his framing buddy helping the whole time. He originally told me it would take about 3 days and he was only going to get help putting up the trusses.
You got a neighbor to do the work without a written contract. All you have is a text or two that doesn't really cover the specifics. I don't mean to be uncharitable but you made your own mess.

A lien is not a concern. Unless you plan to sell in the next 6 months it will never last long enough for you to have to pay on it because he will never renew it as often as he has to. No one can tell you what the right answer is. Work it out with the contractor and do what your gut tells you is the right thing.

At least this one isn't a huge cost for the lesson. Try not to repeat these mistakes in the future. Best of luck!