View Single Post
Old 07-23-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
It's probably a bad trade, especially given Lucic's contract, but I think the majority of Oiler fans are looking at Neal on what he could be, not what he was last year. If his game doesn't come around, what you can expect, for those who use the advanced stats anyway, is far and away the worst player on the team, and points wise, a guy who managed to put up even less points than Lucic. Player to player, meh, just that contract. I sure hope part of the deal is that Calgary doesn't have to protect him....
I hear ya for sure. It's all a gamble. Neal could have as putrid a year this year as he did last year. It could happen, but it is not likely based on 10 straight really good seasons, and his year in Vegas was real good. I think of us Joe Schmucks; most of us have a crappy year at work one out of 11 if you know what I mean. Maybe he thought he was God's gift. Maybe he didn't come to camp in shape. Maybe he had a terrible attitude. Maybe his relationship with his bosses was horrible. It was likely a number of these together. I guess we will see.

Lucic had the same drop-off, but two years in a row. His style of play, to be effective, is way harder on both the body, and the mind. Honestly, when he was not fighting every 10 or so games, his play tailed off considerably. I looked it up on hockeyfights.com, and he went from 6 to 4 to 2 fights last year.
Yes he still hit, and sometimes punishingly, but for those of us who watched him every game, it appeared he just cruised around, as if the game had passed him by. As I have said, I hope he rips the skin off the ball for you guys, and I hope Neal does too. I like the Flames. I really do.

However, the contract is an anchor. A really, really big one. You guys are more prepared to weather it, as you have a damn good hockey team, so he can play fourth line minutes for you. We never had that luxury. Still don't.

If Neal messes his pants we buy him out and replace him with a guy worth 4 million. For the Flames that is impossible. There is next to no cap relief at all.
Because so much of his contract is paid out, you will likely be able to trade him to a team needing to reach the cap floor by adding some type of sweetener. But, he's still got a full no movement clause, and if he falls in love with Calgary as a city and a team. He can politely say to your GM, "Uh... I think I am gonna stay right where I am thank you very much." He earned that right.

I know this. We have a really bad hockey team - stats don't lie - and it has given us something to be happy about. I am anticipating his best games to be against us next year. His best games over the last three years have been against you.

Fingers crossed for all of us long-suffering Alberta hockey fans. Watching Alberta boys who play on US teams bring Stanley to their hometowns in the summer has gotten really old.