View Single Post
Old 07-22-2019, 06:48 PM

This is the set up I favor for benching sporter rifles. Note: Small pieces of painters tape affixed to the stock make it easy to reset the rifle after recoil, so it sits in the same position for each shot in the group. IMO inconsistent resets are the most prevalent cause of poor groups.

Next is a look from the backside of the rest set up. For best results, it is critical that the centerline in rear bag matches the centerline in the saddle of the front rest. If setting the pistol grip on the stock about 1/2” back of where it will make contact with the rear bag (to absorb recoil), care must be taken to insure to reset the rear bag back to the pre-shot location...and be certain the bag has not been turned slightly.

Next is a look at how the forestock “fits” into the saddle on the front rest. This stock has a fairly flat bottom (KSA design sold by Wildcat) which makes it easier to handle in the rest as it wants to torque clockwise as the bullet “twists” it’s way down the bore. For best results, it is best for the contour of the bottom of the forestock to fit the shape of the saddle (primarily bottom and a little up the side).

I tried for a better pic of the saddle but looks like I got it a bit off center, but you get the idea. It has a fairly flat bottom that is not too thick so it remains “firm” but not “hard”. There is a bit of support for the sides of the forestock close to the bottom of the stock. Just enough contact to resist a bit of the torque roll, but not enough to impair the rearward recoil slide.

Last edited by 260 Rem; 07-22-2019 at 07:12 PM.