View Single Post
Old 11-03-2015, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhunter51 View Post
There is a very large Mennonite community north of Saskatoon with probably ten different operations or individuals selling "Mennonite" sausage. What you are going to find is ten very different tasting sausages with some tasting similar but some very much different. Most, if not all, use pure pork in their sausage. You will never get a 60% venison 40% pork sausage to taste like Mennonite sausage. Most do not smoke it either, at least not around here. I think you will be very disappointed if you use 60% venison and 40% pure fat. You should get some 'fattish' pork shoulders and use 50-50 pork and venison. You could also use a commercial sausage mix that you buy. I use bratwurst and add garlic and pepper and a bit of Italian seasoning but I also smoke mine so I would add cure also. Seems to come out fine. Good luck and good eating.
These were some of the gents I got to know up there. Duck lake and prince Albert areas. They both smoked their sausage though. I'm sure you're right though, there's hundreds of variations to the recipe as it originated, all with a families little personal touches.