View Single Post
Old 03-13-2018, 07:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
My 130 grain Hornady American Whitetail in 270 calibre drops 19.3 inches at 400 yards. Average Whitetail brisket being 17 to 18 inches tall. I'm sorry but I can't see most people holding a whole brisket height high above the vitals with an incredible amount of success. And I've seen a lot of different people shoot to varying degrees out to 200, 300 yards. Taking a flyer 8 or 9 inches above the back of a Whitetail deer at 400 yards would be a very low probability shot in my opinion. I could see a fixed retical out to 300 yards where the OP has an argument. But 400 yards plus is a different ball game. For a mere $600 extra, the retical that I bought (rapid z-conquest) takes all the guesswork out of elevation estimating. Hold on fur and fire. Same with ballistic matching turrets. It's a huge difference in accuracy. I will gladly pay 50-70% more for no guesswork. Bonus is you typically get better construction and better glass by doing so. That's three major positives to dig a little deeper into the Wallet for a better scope
400 would be a stretch for holdover......agreed, but if your load matches up with a BDC reticle it could still be done with accuracy.