View Single Post
Old 08-19-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
A teacher isn't being sent off by himself to the middle of nowhere to confront a problem/violent child.

Google "should teachers be armed" and tell me what you find...

And as far as my "calm sense of demeanor" (and you are/were/implying you were a teacher? Really?) This thread is full of comments referring to a job done by of honest hard working people in less than flattering terms. Yes there are some CPO's that would be better off doing something else but you can say the same about some teachers. IT guys and bartenders. If I were to start a thread wherein teachers were vilified and branded as lesser people mere days after one was murdered, I would expect a lot of upset teachers...

CBC poll. Vote to view

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ppearance.html

Last time I checked EMS can, and do, flat out refuse to enter a dangerous situation without the police. Same with firefighters. And fair enough. And yup, you're gonna get smacked occasionally. You also have soft and chemical restraints, and more importantly, a partner.
And when's the last time a firefighter answered a call by themselves?
By saying that someone that is expected to confront a dangerous person on their own turf BY THEMSELVES, shouldn't have the option to use lethal force to protect their lives is narrow minded and unreasonable.
And again, I don't think all CPO's need sidearms, but some absolutely do.

Yup we can refuse. But not all situations start out
Threatening. And that is why there may be no police on the scene. And I work for a combined dept that deals with 6 different communities. There are many occasions where 2 emt/firefighters are sent to an incident with no backup 100km from our home base. That includes call to many first nation reserves without backup. Not all firefighters work in a city Blake so your argument is only partially true. And as others have mentioned I also know several peace officers that have inflated egos already. Putting a gun in their hands is no safe to the community in my opinion!

And no I don't feel that not arming them with deadly force is unreasonable at all. Many of your peace officers are want to be cops. No way you can deny that. Their role is not to serve and
Protect like that of a police. There job is to control and enforce trivial laws.