Thread: FFP Vs.SFP
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2021, 09:14 AM

Personally I am not a big fan of FFP scopes (too busy). If you are shooting fast moving targets (hogs and such) I would vote FFP. For your average shot at a standing target like a gopher @100yards or less I would choose SFP. The target is small, If you miss it is pretty easy to hold half a gopher into the wind. You don't need to count the whiskers on the gophers chin to be able to make ethical shoots out to 100 yards or a bit better, so a good fixed power 6x scope is really all you need. Now if your making shoots on steel for the cash, at extreme range (100yards plus) then I can see the advantages of a FFP scope with a useable reticule.

Good luck in your search. I am starting to get into ELR with the .22 and feel your pain but if your only using this scope to a 100 yards or less then consider a fixed 6x with a nice reticule (fine x hair or small target dot).
All gopher hunting occurs during full sun, so being able to see ones cross hair in the dark is irrelevant.

I did see an ad on utube for a scope which uses both a FFP and a SFP incorporated into one scope. It had a regular FFP reticule which also used something similar to a red dot for the SFP. Not sure how or if it works but they are out there.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.