View Single Post
Old 03-26-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Maybe you should get to know the area a bit before posting BS like your original post. Where are all these better places without spending a million plus for dirt or moving so far north that winter ends in July.

Rains are heavy and winds like Pincher Creek, mosquito nest, all summer??? How about a decent amount of moisture so the forest doesn't close and a healthy ecosystem.

The land in the area is an outstanding value considering you can still drive to several major centers before lunch.

The land owners are still reasonably friendly but there is crown and lease land galore to hunt on a short drive away.

There is awesome fishing in the river, Buck, Medicine and a few hidden spots I won't mention here.

If you can't get a really decent Whitetail you just need to get out more and now that they have eliminated a lot of the ridiculous supplementary tags it will only get better as the road hunter traffic has decreased significantly. The area also suffered fiercely from severe winter kill about he same time you say it became over hunted.

Yeah, people come from Drayton, Rocky and even as far as Red Deer because the hunting is decent and there is 1000s of acres of bush to hunt if one bothers to get off the road. Like most of the lease and crown country from Sundre to Drayton, one has to spend some time and find some spots but it is still a far cry better than competing with every Tom, Dick and Harry for the odd descent bush quarter to the east.

There is several herds of Elk that range from across the river and right down in to the Leslieville area.

Yes there are large predators as there is in any wild spot with game animals to hunt. There are Grizzlies west that wander right down into the Rimbey area and where ever there is lots of deer and bush there are cats. Lots of wolves too as one should expect nearly everywhere in the west country these days.

The lease land is perhaps the best Ruffed Grouse hunting in the province and there is decent flights of ducks and geese coming off the larger water bodies and the river right up until freeze up. Nothing like the east but pretty easy to find a shoot with a little driving and we all have to do some driving unless we live east.

There is an awesome sporting clays club and numerous places to shoot within a short drive.

Apart from that it really sucks. I can't image why you don't sell your land and move if you hate it so much and know of all these better places to go.
Get to know the area better ??? I dont think many know the area as well as i know the area ,. yep some fishing in buck lake ,not the greatest as its still a lake that allows netting for indigenous , medicine is a swamp hole for pike , kool !!! the river is nice i give you that ,if the weather permits ,
quadding in the back country is limited due to the lack of trails ,brazeau side is better for hunting and quadding. small stocked trout lakes around ,nothing great . very poor numbers of geese if your comparing i to anything even east of buck lake !
The lease land doesn't exist in alder flats ,you have to travel east ,what little piece of crown land in alder flats is surrounded by private and not accessible to anyone and its swamp land .
Rain yep ! not much for crops for 3 years there now if any at all .all because the rains wrecked the fields and everything was a mud hole .