View Single Post
Old 07-15-2023, 10:53 AM

Predators aside - it is fricking hard to kill an elk with your bow or a gun in the mountains. The numbers don't just mean the elk populations are down, hunting them isn't that easy.

If you ever get into the mountains, and get into a bugle battle with a bull elk - good luck. It a rush and nothing like it. Most addictive thing out there. But one mess up, wind switch and or stall in the moment or he pushes his cows to you to see who you are - he gone!

But it's not every trip and it's not every year. I know where the elk are in my zone - and even then, its a battle. Some years it's over in 10 min of the first day, sometimes it's 10 days... And not one answer. Wolves play a part, too many and they are not vocal at all. Some days it's like chasing a ghost.

One suggestion is to get a buddy who has done it before, or partner with someone who has. My dad and uncle took me to learn the ways. Learn to call, really learn to call, and be ready to chase down the herd bull up and down the mountain. Or like everyone has stated - get the boot miles going. I do lots of e-scouting but it doesn't do much good till you walk it to see if there are elk there, most times there isn't where you e-scout.

Good luck.

Your prairie bulls are bigger than the mountain bulls.. But the hunt is way better in the mountains!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk