View Single Post
Old 01-26-2022, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinjoels View Post
Unfortunately all of this takes enforcement and therefore money. And the government of Alberta isn’t going to allocate more money/resources into biologists, surveys, FIN netting, CO’s, stocking etc. Fisheries just isn’t a priority. Especially now rebounding from the economic impact of covid.

I wish fisheries were a priority, but unfortunately they aren’t in Alberta.
Actually I find it quite the opposite in AB. In Ontario I rarely saw a CO doing enforcement where here I see CO's out regularly doing patrols and checks. As for the bio's you and I will not see what they are doing unless we get involved and volunteer to participate in community fisheries programs. I used to be involved in them years ago and took part in things like Walleye egg collection, rearing pond maintenance, stocking, feeding Rainbow Trout fry at community run hatcheries, Ounaniche(landlocked Atlantic salmon) reintroduction, night watch on walleye spawning grounds etc. Then you work alongside the bio's and get to see what goes on behind the scenes. Community fishery programs better serve anglers than waiting on the gov't to commit to the fishery 100% but it takes volunteers. You'd be amazed what can be accomplished by doing so.