View Single Post
Old 01-24-2022, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
Slot limits agree to protect the big spawners but in a province with so few fishable waterbodies slots size has to be extremely tight in order not to deplete slot size so that enough slot fish sneak thru to become big spawners. I think slot size on our lakes is too liberal.
Personally I think the length of the C&k season is another factor. There is many ways to control harvest numbers and many ways to combined them. We may have higher pressure that involves using multiple management tools but it’s not impossible

I have said it before on this forum there is many jurisdictions south of the border with a much higher population density creating high pressure and they have created effective management plans

Alberta needs to start combining different management tools creating a management plan not look at one tool on its own

But regardless Red bullets point is 100% correct larger more mature brood stock produce more eggs and often larger eggs too. I know this for a fact from managing brood stock and a hatchery for aquaculture