View Single Post
Old 03-28-2019, 07:02 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I知 going to be putting up this wolf pretty quick if I want to get it in by March 25. It痴 been in a freezer for three months and I expect the ears, lips, etc to be dried out. I talked to one fella that knows his stuff and he suggested immersing the head in salt water to rehydrate like you would for tanning pelts. I知 wondering how this値l work considering that it値l be unskinned and the water would have to be absorbed though the skin for the ears. Has anyone encountered this before and have any other ideas (ie. injecting salt water with a hypodermic needle?).
I知 not sure how long you or your fella have been skinning animals, but if you thaw the wolf out you should be able to skin the head and lips, ears, tail as usual. Take a little care on the ear edges in case of light drying. We speed skin coyotes in 2-3 minutes every summer at the convention that have been in a freezer for 4 or 5 months without the aid of hypodermic needles, saltwater, massage techniques or even light meditation.

Now I知 not a big wolf guy myself so maybe you値l have to go with fellas advice??? If you do and find that the salt water isn稚 penetrating the skin for your desired effect, do try some scalp massage, deep breathing, followed by some deep meditation? Chanting???

Last edited by Marty S; 03-28-2019 at 07:08 PM.