View Single Post
Old 07-20-2017, 04:06 PM

My father only used baitcasters, and taught me, some 50 years ago. I still use them today, along with spinning reels. Each has their place.

For me:
Baitcasters are for unbeatable for trolling and downrigging for line weights 8# through 30#. I also use them exclusively for casting for big lakers in the spring, and year-round for big northerns. Baitcasters are by far the most finicky reels I have ever used, and the learning curve is steep. The reel settings need to be re-visited with almost every lure change due to lure weight and lure wind profile. Once you have mastered that, it is almost automatic, and I do it without thinking. Finally, you can get away with a cheap spinning reel, and it will not get you (at least not right away). A cheap baitcaster is garbage from the get go. I own 6 Abu Garcias, 5000, 5500, 6500 models, and we also have 2 Bass Pro Shops Tourney Specials. I prefer the Abus. Another item, clean and oil the reel after every use, and back off completely on the drag and the free spool. The reel will last forever.

Vic