View Single Post
Old 03-09-2015, 07:48 PM

Unhappy Our Dawglet has Drowned...

I wanted to post this as I know there are so many caring dawg folks on here, and to be honest, I need kind words. Our Beaner fell through the ice in the creek yesterday, and she was gone, just like that. It was the deepest and worst part of the creek, and I guess she ran down for a drink, and we saw her over there, and just as we realized what could happen, she dropped through and was gone. She was pulled under the ice, and the water was up so no air pocket. We were beyond grief and in vain, poked holes with sticks, until we realized we could go through and drown ourselves.

Today, two friends came to help look for her body, which we think is pinned down there, and spent several hours chopping ice, while roped up and wearing rock climbing harnesses, and then we used a fish finder camera but the water is too murky. We do not think she floated downstream as the creek gets very shallow and she would likely hang up on something where we would see her. At least I hope so. We will go back tomorrow and look again.

Please be careful anywhere near ice at this time of year, hell, anytime of year...Bean was so full of life, would have been 7 this summer. We only had her two years...My quandary now is whether to tell her former papa, as I know he regretted giving her up and would be devastated. What would you do if you were me?

This house is a sad one, and she took up so much space in our hearts, it is so hard. And I know you understand. I just needed to share my grief.

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!