View Single Post
Old 07-13-2018, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachnodisiac View Post
You must be my kin, haha. This distinction is important to me!

As for the original poster...

Wasp/hornet stings are venomous, but they do also bite, often to secure their footing while they sting you.

There is some limited evidence that the bite of venomous insects may contain defensive properties, but I don't think this this has been demonstrated outside of honeybees.

So, wasps do sting and when they sting, there is the mechanical injury from the stinger itself, and also a secondary envenomation. AND they may bite at the same time, which would cause mechanical injury only. But still, that's a lot of injury from a little creature!

I have only ever been stung once, by anything, which is kind of amazing when I think about it. And I am literally terrified by them, which is a little embarrassing considering my hobby.

Here is a link I think you will enjoy.
As to the original post, the envenomation via stings produce hot itchy bumps, the bite however was more like a spider bite and It produced necrosis of the tissue over the following week. I was bit in the palm by a large ugly brown spider in Gibsons that did the same. Seemed like it would never heal.