View Single Post
Old 06-15-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Do you really want to defend / discuss Ronaldo as it relates to his childish tireless diving and arm waving / protesting antics?

Many people share my opinion - and it's prevalent amongst many fans globally. There are hundreds of tantrum or diving compilations on him on the internet.

He's an outstanding player - maybe amongst the best in history - BUT - His behaviour far overshadows his talents to many fans like myself.

As far as my comments being or coming from "an uneducated perspective" ..... I watch La Liga religiously and regularly see Real Madrid play. I also enjoy the Bundesliga.

And ... if you, yourself, are such a big Ronaldo / RM fan boy and watch LaLiga you would know your comparison to Leonel Messi, is ridiculous.

Lionel has battled serious injuries over the last 2 years .........and missed a ton of time over the last 3-4 years.

How did Ronaldo compare to Messi when he was injured and Leonel was healthy? How does the shoe fit on the other foot?

Either way .... you need to understand where my comments come from ....

There is an unwritten rule in international play about sportsmanship. You "normally" don't see nearly the amount of diving, complaining, etc.. in these tournaments and for good reason. Players who are chosen to represent their countries know enough to give it rest and save the "gamesmanship" it for club play.

The unfortunate thing, for many of us who do see his tremendous talent, it seems to be overshadowed by his behaviour.
I agree with almost everything you said!

What Ronaldo does is not unlike a lot of other players in all leagues however. perhaps the spotlight is on him more because of his nature. He flails and he does act like a baby at times.... Okay all the time.

I honestly think Messi is the best overall player in the world. The guy is phenomenal.

I am a Ronaldo fan because I am Portuguese. When it comes to club teams I am actually a Tottenham Hotspur fan.

In international football you have to blindly follow your team through the good and the bad. To me it is not much different than cheering on Marchand in the Olympics for team Canada.

That being said, three Goals and getting a draw with a team as good as Spain can show you that one person can make a difference. 3 Goals in three different ways was pretty amazing. That game is an instant Classic. Spain is unreal.

What I will say about Ronaldo, he had a chance to go down 2 seconds before the penalty but kept going. I was actually surprised he didn't go down outside the box after he was tripped up.

I think Portugal will finish second in the group, beat Uruguay and lose to France in the quarters. That's just my guess.

As for Messi and Argentina; They have so much talent its unbelievable. Higuain, Messi, and Dybala is a formidable attack. I see them getting to the Semi Finals if the can get past Spain.

Good Luck to your team this world cup! (Who is your team?)

Great Football so far