View Single Post
Old 06-06-2011, 07:07 PM

[QUOTE=bukwild;964139]Does anyone here personally have experience with a barrel or action that has been damaged by corrosive ammunition? every site or post that deals with the russian type surplus rifles brings it up (with varying arguments) but none that I have read actually post a picture or real life experience with the problem. There are millions of these rifles shooting this ammunition all over the world every day for years on end and they all seem to do what they were intended to do. Also, I doubt that some guy who carries and shoots his AK on a daily basis in Nigera has the products or inclination to clean his rifle the way that we might and I'll bet his rifle will be passed down to his son (or the his enemies son) when he is done with it.[/QUO

The damage done by neglect+corrosive ammo is real. We fired 400 or so rounds out of a relative's 858 one afternoon. He took it home, threw it in the closet.6 months later we were chatting and the rifle came up. He forgot all about it. So I ended up pulling it apart. This type of corrosion is no joke. Very heavy pitting/scarring in bore.Lovely rusty red patches for quite a while.A lot of scrubbing on the bore, it will never ever be easy to clean again.I don't know if it reduced accuracy, I haven't re- range tested it yet. I have seen older pitted barrels on other rifles that are darned accurate. Just a real pain to clean.

The gas system is badly corroded, should in theory be still operable.Bolt pitted, internals surface rusted. Nothing totally seized up, but nothing in good shape either. What a waste- however I intend to learn from this mistake.My SKS will never look like that, though they are now probably worth around the same money.Ruined a nice rifle.While it may go bang, it's not the nice rifle it was.