Thread: Muzzle Brakes
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
I will admit that I am not too familiar with the BMG class of cartridges, but would think that a range that allows them would be built to better suit them. Insulation falling from the ceiling sounds like an insulation problem, not a brake issue, and like others mentioned, perhaps some sort of baffle between benches is in order.

If your shooting around fiftys, then I imagine some sort of "brake wash" is expected.
I have never and will not ever advocate for prohibition or exclusion of any type of fire arm on a range, however, the big braked guns came along long after our roof was built, and we are trying to accommedate them.
That being said, I will also not advocate more construction on a line that does not need it.
The number of rifles in town that can do damage to the ceiling of the range, blow stuff off the tables , etc are far outnumbered by other guns , and the guns are welcome to outside the shed.
Not all brakes will do this as was mentioned, but many will.
That being said, i will not shoot my muzzle loader upwind of tiihers when I am on the line for the same reason that I ask the braked guns to give way - it's simple courtesy.
I could say, " suck it up and man up, it's just a little stinky smoke" but I would like to think I have a bit more class than that.
Cat