View Single Post
Old 04-18-2011, 12:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtoad View Post
Oh, and genetics would play a role HunterDave. A big healthy fish shows that it has good genetics. It has beaten the odds and made it through many years of life. Part of it might be luck but much of that is that natural selection has not weeded it out and it should be genetically superior to the other 2 million (or whatever#) of fertilized eggs that didn't make it. By passing on that superior genetics, makes sure that the future population of fish will be healthy, strong, and more should survive.
I'm all for leaving the biggest fish in the lake, I just don't understand where genetics has anything to do with it. There could be thousands of smaller fish in the lake that have his genes that are just as healthy, etc as the big one except they just haven't grown to his size yet. There might even be smaller fish that have genes superior to the bigger fish but they just haven't gotten as big as him yet.

I don't buy into the theory that just because a fish is big it's genes are superior to the smaller fish in the lake. Now, if his genes made him grow bigger faster than the other fish in the lake, then that would be a different story.