View Single Post
Old 04-14-2011, 10:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Oatey View Post
You have no idea who I am or what I have training in. Its the internet so i am 7' tall, 350lbs of muscle and am a doctorate in 15 different disciplines from fish biology to French poetry.

Actually if you refer back in this very thread Sundancefisher is a fisheries biologist and he has stated that for put and take lakes biology doesn't work.

Now as a person who does have an interest and training in fisheries biology I would like to say I do not want to see any more introduced species in to Alberta for the reasons stated above.

Nope. Have a younger sister.

Absolutely there are other ways for fish to be introduced. Now tell me what "natural" way would Bass be introduced in to the Province of Alberta? Or how perch were introduced in to Lake Sundance, Cummings Lake, Hasse, etc etc etc..........?

Haven't called you a name yet. Sorry but you have been pretty much bullying anyone with a differing opinion than you. Listen I think you are wrong and have posted reasons why I think you are wrong. All you come back with is "I know you are but what am I?".

Grow up.

Now here is another question for you to ignore and not answer, why do you think bass would make a successful fishery in Alberta and what measures would you take to make sure that Bass did not have an adverse effect on native fish populations if they were to someway leave their designated lake? I worry that because bass are predatory that native populations of fish could be at risk to another predator.

I guess this sums up the whole debate. Can't debate against someone that is superior than everyone else. I guess when you get nominated as king of the universe you can just snap your fingers and we will have bass in the province.

For someone that is interested in and is training in fisheries biology you have a very negative mind set scientists are support to have an open mind and have the ability to look beyond the problem. You better stay in school and change your career choice .

If you are that interested and trained in fish biology I should not have to tell you how fish can get introduced in to ponds and lakes.....But I willThere are birds such as cranes that fly from one pond to another. They could carry fish eggs on their feet and legs, or beak. This way new ponds get fish without being stocked. Also, if there is a ditch coming from another pond or creek the fish can travel this way.
Here are more opinions and answers from other FAQ Farmers:
Flooding, that temporarily connects one or more bodies of water.
Walking, some fish, like the walking catfish, and the northern snake head can travel short distances on land. During unusually wet seasons bodies of water may be fairly close, allowing them to "walk" over.
Man, since man came on the earth, we have done the majority of stocking of landlocked ponds and lakes.

The only reasons you have given for not wanting bass in alberta is...1) you don't want a new species in Alberta ....hmmmm very scientific .
2) They tried it before and it didn't work....hmmm very open minded.....

I have not bullied any one or called anyone names or used improper language ..."The bucket brigade with always find a way to fvck it up."......
.."And no $**t sherlock" very nice...

As far as a Bass as a predator fish it has as many fish and birds that prey on it as it preys on. You have as much likely hood of keeping it in one pond or lake as you do any other fish. You should know that.....?

Maybe you should read a little closer.....Sundancefishers...Quote.....
As a past fisheries biologist...I am somewhat torn. They did try in Island lake...some hold outs...but mostly gone. They tried in Wabamun...but no luck. I am not sure where they could try but given the lake of lakes in Alberta...you would have to impact the local predators...pike and walleye to let them establish...then protect them with regs as they would be both susceptible to over harvest and also susceptible to habitat stresses.

Still...they have very limited range and we are outside of it. I would not worry about them moving around like say channel cats...

In a limited fishery...it would be highly utilized and add tremendous value as a fishing option.

I voted for supporting...

Sun

That is a scientistic answer even though it failed once you do not close your mind. And I do value Sun option and agree it would not be an easy task and possibly not viable at all BUT and it's a big but the question was ....WOULD YOU SUPORT THE INTRODUCTION OF BASS IN ALBERTA...not will it work this we don't know we know last time it was not the best results but times change. An open mind is the only way to learn......

As far as the last I did not say any where or any time that I was superior then everyone. I only said I was smarter then YOU. Perhaps this is not true but you gave me no reason to think different. I'm not sure how old you are very young I'm guessing but if you are interested in fisheries and biology talk to Sundancefisher maybe he can open your mind a little. You have a strong determination perhaps it can be channeled a little more.....Have a good day