View Single Post
Old 04-12-2011, 12:42 AM

I think bass stocking has been tried enough times to be generally considered a failure in Alberta. I would however like to see some of these gazillion trout ponds stocked with something other than rainbow trout. Couldn't a small percentage be stocked and managed for a perch-pike fishery, especially ones that have already been invaded by perch? The pike could prevent the unchecked proliferation of small perch, allowing some biggger perch and a few nice pike. There would have to be some tweaking of size limits and/or number of pike that could be kept in order to balance the perch numbers, but I think it could be done. If the pond seemed to be getting overrun with perch, up the number of stocked pike the next year or adjust the regs on pike harvest numbers. If the perch were getting wiped out, be more generous with the pike harvest. The regs would have to modified perhaps every year based on what was going on in the water, but so what, it should be doable and would make pond fishing more entertaining than "Oh boy, another trout pond, just like all the others."