View Single Post
Old 04-08-2011, 07:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isopod View Post
In 1908, bass were stocked in Lake Minnewanka, and into Sylvan, Gull, Pine, Buffalo and Cooking Lakes. In 1924, bass were introduced into Ministik Lake, near Edmonton. A few years later largemouth bass were stocked in Pigeon Lake, Lake Wabamun and Lac La Nonne. They survived and were caught for several years, but never reproduced. Smallmouth were introduced into Island Lake (near Smoky Lake) in 1977,1978,1979,1981 and 1984. The largest one caught by angling was 43 cm long and weighed 1.8 kg. In 1989, young bass were caught, indicating some reproduction. Not sure when the last one was caught, but there is no longer any sign of reproduction or survival.

So it isn't for lack of trying, they just don't seem to make it here. As much as I would love to have a local bass fishery, it would be a put and take fishery at best, and there are better species for that.
Please read the above facts.

What interests me is the new demand for Bass in Alberta.

Are you posters who demand another failed bass stocking in Alberta people who lived in eastern Canada or somewhere in the United States, and figure that if Bass lived in ontario and USville why not in Alberta?

Please note that I am not trying to insult any of you people, but am wondering what demographic you are coming from?