View Single Post
Old 12-26-2007, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertabiggame View Post
Rust am i to understand it that you guys get permission from land owners to hunt. now is this there private land or land they lease from the govt. you see in some of our western states ranchers lease govt. owned land and they tell you if you can hunt it. most of the time they say no because someone(outfitter) is leasing it. or they charge an access fee ($$$$$). ???? is this why more and more outfitters are buying land to hunt ??? and just so i understand (alberta laws) a rancher cannot lease his own private land to anyone?
-As a resident we have to ask permission to hunt on privately owned land. -We also have to ask to hunt on land that is leased from the gov. It is usally a grazing lease. Cheaper for a rancher to lease land then to own large areas. My understanding is that if they have cattle or livestock on it they can denie access, but if there is no, good, logical reason they are not surpose to be able keep u off.(BUT THIS IS A HOLE NEW ISSUE SO DO NOT QUOTE ME ON THIS. FOR MORE INFO GO TO THE "LEASE LAND" THREAD THERE IS LOTS OF READING THERE FOR YA!!!)
-And then there is lot of Public land that any resident can hunt and does not require permission.

As the regulations read now. It is Unlawful to directly or indirectly buy or sell, barter or trade, or offer to buy or sell access to any land for the purpose or hunting any big game, furbearing animals or game birds. So the short of it is that PAID HUNTING IN ALBERTA IS ILEAGLE.
There may be outfitters that compinsate a landowner somehow for exclusive access, but they are not surpose to.
There is lots of info in this thread. I hope this helps a bit. Feel free to keep asking questions too.
Rust