View Single Post
Old 03-19-2011, 09:56 PM

I had mine done, but at a significant time interval. My left eye was about 10 times worse than my right. I had it done at Gimbel in early 1997 if I recall correctly. It was the PRK technique that I had performed, and it worked very well. I had my right eye done a number of years later, when the price had subsided where both eyes would have cost what my initial one eye did. I did get a side effect of dry eyes, particularly at night. It would only show up when I was awoken unexpectedly in what I assume to be REM sleep. Opening my eyes then would resuly in horrible pain, as my eyelids were stuck to my eyes, and I probably tore the epithelium membrane. Thats where keeping the drops sure came in handy, I could numb them and get back to sleep. It felt like there was sand in them. The epithelium heals quickly though and I'd be OK the next morning. The drops that helped ended with "caine", so you can imagine they numbed well. When you had them in during sleep the Dr recommended taping on an eye shield, as your eye can be damaged when you can't feel anything on them. (rubbing them in your sleep, etc).

Overall even with the unusual side effect I had, its something I'd do again. There's a lot to be said for not wearing glasses.