View Single Post
Old 03-01-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
So, in summary, the "Quality" fishery at Muir hasn't worked.

Your post swayed me more towards having more "quality" fisheries in and immediately around the city of Edmonton though. The way that I figure it is if a few more "quality" fisheries were created then all of the lazy azzed anglers from the city wanting to catch big, easy to catch trout would stay in Edmonton. Then, there'd be fewer anglers at all of the harder to get to lakes. In turn the quality of fishing will improve because we wouldn't have to worry about the city guys coming out and keeping all of the big fish instead of the smaller eatin sized ones!

Okay......what if SRD could be talked into digging several dugouts in and around Edmonton and filling them with fish? Would that work for you?

To answer your question about having 30% or 40% of our lakes turned into "quality" fisheries............SRD wouldn't do that for such a small percentage of anglers that want them. If you believe that support for "quality" fisheries is that high then you need to get out more and talk with Joe the average angler.
Explain how it doesn't work?
It's not up to my standards but if it's the busiest stocked lake within two hours of Edmonton, it's definitely working.

I swayed you? Good now go talk to all the average Joes and convince them we need these lakes too and we'll all be happy. Oh, wait but you don't want quality fishing you want easy to catch tiddlers. If we all stayed around Edmonton then you'd be catching to many easy to catch bigger fish! That doesn't work for you remember?

No, I want bigger lakes that are currently 5 trout per day. There are to many of those now. We need to change that.

Oh they'll do it. With the pressure put on them for big fish in the past, they came up with the quality lakes initiative (that was the reason they put the poll out there in the first place). Once the lakes and regs are in place, we will not be happy with just that and we'll put pressure on them for better management. Once the Alberta Angler gets a true taste of what can be, more pressure will be applied for more of these lakes. It'll take a while as SRD is very slow to react (regarding pretty much anything) but it will happen. And you're right, if we get enough quality lakes near major centers, the long to drive to lakes will see less pressure and will be become quality lakes once again themselves. If SRD can manage the stocking numbers accordingly that is.