View Single Post
Old 01-09-2011, 12:01 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
Only if you accept the premise that the restriction was put in place to keep dogs from indiscriminately chasing wildlife and the reason we should be allowed to have dogs along is simply because someone else can - which I do not.

Personally I believe that it would be of great benefit to hunters to allow them the use of pack dogs and tethered tracking dogs and it would have no negative impact on the sport or the wildlife in any way. Whether we want to tackle the issue of running bears with hounds as in much of the rest of the world, running moose with dogs as in the Scandinavian countries, deer with dogs as in Ontario and many parts of the south east US is another arm of the problem and IMO needs to be discussed if we are to open the issue of hunters accompanied by dogs - what is and isn't appropriate, how will it be readily identified and communicated. Right now the rule is pretty clear, easy to follow and regulate. With any changes the water muddies very quickly.
I think the rule was put in place to prevent dogs from discriminately chasing wildlife at the owner's request and allowing pack dogs wouldn't change the intent of that law one iota. There are already other laws in place to prevent indiscriminant chasing....they wouldn't change either. Water seems pretty clear to me. Just a bit more safety and opportunity for hunters and no change in the intent of any laws. Seems a win/win to me.