View Single Post
Old 12-31-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
No problem.....I like to think the majority of people on this board aren't complete morons with no experience or knowledge about shooting....I find I'm typically correct.
I find that the people on this board and other similar boards are in fact,on average much more competent shooters than the majority of the general public.We have a large cross section of hunters and shooters that share a lot of experience that isn't so common among many hunters and shooters.

That being the case,there are still a fair number of people that like to over simplify reloading and long range shooting.

There are still people that are mystified when the so called "most accurate load" listed in a manual,isn't the most accurate load in their gun.They still think that any load listed in a manual will be safe in their gun.

Many people still fail to comprehend how critical wind drift is at longer ranges,and they aren't capable at compensating for it.They fail to understand why their gun was shooting dead on last summer a +20 degrees,and the ballistic reticle seemed dead on,but now at -20degrees,the reticle suddenly seems out of calibration.

If you take the time to learn reloading and ballistics,these things are easily explained,but many people simply don't currently have the education or the experience,to understand these concepts.

Yes technology like laser rangefinders are very useful,and they do greatly help us by eliminating errors in range estimation,but technology can't always replace knowledge and experience.If you don't know why that ballistic reticle seems to be out of calibration now,you aren't going to know how to re calibrate it,or how to compensate for the calibration error,given the present conditions.