View Single Post
Old 11-23-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Well I for one wouldn't hunt grizzly with a 243win, or a 270win, and I speak from experience,because I was charged by a grizzly,and was glad that I was carrying my 338x8mmremmag.A quick shot stopped the bears charge at 30 yards,and another anchored him,but I am not so sure that the results would have been the same with a 243win or a 270win.

I for one would be passing up 500 yard shots on elk or moose with a 243win or 25-06,yet I wouldn't hesitate to take those same shots with one of my larger caliber guns.

I have also taken some longer range sharp angled raking shots on elk with my 300RUM rifles that I wouldn't take with a 270 or smaller caliber.

With me it all comes down to my comfort level,and with deer sized game,I don't feel that I need a cartridge larger than a 25-06 or so for any shot on a deer,pronghorn or sheep,but for me that changes with the larger animals such as elk or moose,and with dangerous game like grizzly.

As such, although many cartridges offer adequate performance for most big game hunting, I really can't agree that all cartridges are equally capable, which would make cartridge selection a moot point.
I personally know of one guy that stopped a similar charge with a 270 Winchester so I guess it will work. I also have a late Uncle that shot literally dozens of Grizzlies with a pre 64 Model 70 270 WCF.

I guess I'm a victim of my experience, and my experience says differently.

-Billy Molls