View Single Post
Old 11-03-2007, 07:42 PM
Banned

I tend to agree and have owned three .300 Mags. and shot and handloaded for several others. I have owned 12 .338 WM rifles and it is by far my favourite cartridge, I do not find the recoil that bad, but, you do need to shoot fairly often during the year to stay comfortable with it.

I have carried primarily CRF .30-06s, .338s and .375H&Hs when working solo in remote wilderness and feel comfortable with any of these, loaded with heavy, premium bullets. I have seen Grizzlies killed with .270s, 7Mags., .06s and the above rounds as well as .300 Weatherbys. They ALL worked well enough, but, the bigger ones just make me feel more comfortable,especially when backpacking meat or working alone where Grizz are numerous.

A .338 can be built to be a hair over 8lbs., all up, using Leupy QRW bases/Burris Zee rings, EAW irons and a 22: tube in a light synthetic stock. If you use a Limbsaver, it is NOT that bad, even with 250s and I have my eye on a custom rig like this that my buddy has built up, for backpacking hunts here in BC.

I don't see ANY point in using lighter bullets in the .338WM and have had poor accuracy results from them in most of my rifles. I have found that the newer 250 NPs, the 225 TBBCs and the 250 SGKs ALL shoot sub. moa at high velocities, so, that is what I load/use.

If, I wanted a lighter, flatter load for more open country such as Alberta or the BC Peace district, I would choose a .300 WM or a .300 Roy with a good 180 or maybe that new Barnes 168 gr. TSX. Either way, you have what it takes to do the job, if you can shoot, the hardest part of all!

cfmi1---That Satterlee Mag. Mauser in your "sig. line"is enough to make me NUTS, I mean every old geezer like me in BC, NEEDS a .404J, right?!

Are you going to get one???????