View Single Post
Old 06-25-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota369 View Post
If you are sustenance hunting, there is no reason why you cannot restrict your hunting period to coincide with the usual hunting season, which the biologists have deemed the best time to be hunting without putting the hunted animals under damaging or undue stress. Freezer technology is well distributed. My hunting for sustenance (as I hunt to eat, I am not a trophy hunter) is adequate so that I have deer all year round...... I see no reason why they should have a open season year round. This is especially evident in the spring when the animals are more vulnerable (limited food and water) or in the winter when even hunting them unsuccessfully can cause so much stress that they don't make it through the winter.
It's not so much that they can hunt year round, that is given. It is WHERE they can hunt year round that is in contest. The article lays it out pretty clear, the Metis themselves know they don't have the right to hunt all of Alberta but they are asking a judge to give them that right.