View Single Post
Old 05-24-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altaberg View Post
the ballistic tanks are not sealed and are actually designed to take the energy. As I said in my earlier post, shooting into water is a very special case and irrelevant for shooting an animal (unless you shoot the animal into a filled bladder).

It's a lot of fun though:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlWe6RBoePE

wait until they start shooting, it's cool.

Also, the shock wave of an explosion in air and what's happening in water is very different. Difference is that air/gas can easily be compressed and water/fluid has a very different compressibility.
Mythbusters did the shooting in the barrell as well, that is why they moved into the pool. They could not make a kill shot in the barrell, myth busted. I know why the tanks do do not explode, but as some are saying here it should.
As far as the goldfish in the baggie of water, the fish will die cause he is out of water, not from shock. I am not as smart in this field as many here, but I do have thought process and can educate myself to the best of my abbility. There are many great points on both sides, as I said before if scientist's can argue and back up with facts and studies, we as hunters will most certianly be able to arugue. I think a lot of the arguement being missed here, it is the well placed ethical shot. We know that there are caliber rules for shooting game. This is because of educated people setting a standard of leathality to ethically take our game. I believe the energy of an expanded bullit is completely absorbed by the game and thus a more efficent kill shot. Shock wave is a hard sell for me. My wife is a nurse in an emergancy department, and many people have died from hard blows to the chest. It can and will stop the heart, this is not a shock wave but merely enough energy is absorbed by the heart to create a leathal rhythm. Anyone who has CPR knows to make absuloutely positive there is no heart beat before starting CPR, same reason, you can create a leathal rhythm in the heart and kill the paitent. It is not a shockwave, but a change in the rhythm of the heart.
Dennis