Thread: used brass
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2010, 12:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papershredder View Post
I just ran into an issue with once fired brass. I picked up a bunch of unfired and once fired brass from a fellow member. The brass that he had fired in his rifle would not chamber in my rifle after full length resizing them. I contacted Redding and they said that the chamber in my rifle must have much tighter tolerances than the chamber the brass was originally fired in. Therefore the brass had been expanded beyond the point it could be resized to fit my chamber. We have ran into this issue with 2 different rifles; this case was my .300WSM X-Bolt, and the previous case was in a .300 WM A-Bolt. We can only use new brass, or brass fired in our own rifles in these 2 chambers.
i have a gun like that as well. the die sizes the full length of the case except for about the last 1/8 of an inch where the shell holder grabs on. that last bit has a swell that you can actually feel. the gun with the sloppy chamber has been identified and my son's is the tighter chamber. we are sure to keep them separate now.
that said, most guns will accept most once fired brass from most other guns, so yes hang onto it. someday you may want to reload, or at least hawk it for a couple bucks to the next guy.