View Single Post
Old 04-10-2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint View Post
You are doing it again Chuck. The Barnes Bullet investors/directors are rolling their eyes and shaking their heads. The buck running a long way after being hit is not good bullet performance. If you hit the deer to high then I question your marksmenship as good as bullet choice.(did not expand) Mentioning that the bullet is good for not so "perfect situation" also tells me that you rely on the bullet rather than your hunting skills, or lack there of. (Swiss Cheese Mule Buck) Chuck, read my lines or between them, 98 big game animals (all by myself) 95% one shot kills, used stalking skills, get into position, find a rest, cross hairs tight behind the front leg, then squeeze. One thing chuck, your honest. Barnes are not a good expansion bullet. Lots of people reading this thread will be turned off by the Barnes, the minority will defend it.
It is great that you are always able to stalk up to the animal, find a good rest, let the obliging critter turn broadside, and ever so carefully squeeze the trigger. Ever try hunting moose or elk in the timber... or whitetails or muleys for that matter, and you sometimes just have to up and shoot? Sometimes there is no time for the textbook stalk. You just have to throw lead (or better yet pure copper) or not get a shot at all. Sometimes animals are actually running when you discover them,at least I have found. Maybe I am just not stealthy enough. Oh and yes, to those who think you're going to shock an animal right off his feet.............well some animals drop to the shot, regardless of what bullet you shoot. Some will run a ways and drop, no matter what you shoot. If you don't hit them in the brain or spine, it's basically the bleeding to death that kills them. I have seen a goodly number of Bison meet their demise, and I can tell you they are surely not too impressed by bullet energy. They can take a .375 or .338 slug and hardly show any visible reaction to being hit. They generally have to bleed for awhile, then they drop. Unless of course they are hit in the brain or spinal cord.
The original question at the start of this thread was asking if a Nosler Accubond or Nosler Partition was a better all around bullet for hunting critters up to the size of Moose. I have seen Accubonds and Scirroccos absolutely flattened on moose and elk sized game. At longer ranges they obviously hold together better. I guess in a perfect world you would just always take broadside double lung shots and it wouldn't matter what you shot. Last time I checked we weren't living in a perfect world, so I would take a partition every time over the accubond for elk and moose sized game. But I know that probably makes too much sense, so therefore I am probably wrong.