View Single Post
Old 04-09-2010, 08:57 AM

Default Interesting

Less the bickering, there is some good points here as well as some bad, and I’m sure 100 years of accumulated experience hunting various game. Now we all have different opinions, as we all prefer various calibers, cartridges, bullets and weights for hunting different game at different distance under various and might I say dynamic conditions. That being said, may I throw my two cents in…

A lot has been done to research the performance of wound ballistics, and many fine bullets have been developed. The science vs. testimonials… all things to weigh when making your decision. That’s it, your decision. Your most powerful weapon is education, and using an appropriate bullet to suit your particular needs. An all around best bang for your buck piece of lead (or copper) to punch a hole in something… sure it exists, the perfect one for every condition, doesn’t.

Research research research! There have been numbers here, but no scientific evidence to reference. I know you guys have all taken game, I don’t doubt that… who is ethical and who is not, isn’t for me to judge. The basics of killing a critter of any description comes down to ceasing its brain function. Now, you can do that by a direct hit to the Central Nervous System, or you can do it by devastation and bleed out depriving blood to the central nervous system. You can make a long wound channel and pop both lungs and an aorta, or hope for hydrostatic shock and some gut soup from a fragmentation. All in all they both get the job done.

There are several good folks from hunters, paper punchers to sniping… Civilian, military, and medical… factual research, eye witness accounts and hypothesise... The more you read the more you identify your craft, the more you can weed out the nonsense and misinformation. Those of you who have your reasons, should try to express them… debate is beneficial if done in a civilized manner. Remember some of us are newer than others, and in time will learn and as I noticed here are willing to admit and reconsider their input.

This forum is filled with young and old, from far and near… it’s a collective of many disciplines and experiences. Take it for what you will, and by the way I used the 30 06 hornady light mag in 165 interlock this year for my white tail rifle hunt, even though I loaded accubonds, and now have the ballistic tips… which I’m going to use up and try the ttsx as I’m curious to the higher BC and weight retention for long range in the 300wsm tikka varmint I’m drooling over.