View Single Post
Old 04-08-2010, 04:09 PM

I'm probably going to regret this but I feel the need to post this. I recieved the survey from ABA and was not confident that my feelings as a bow hunter would be passed along by the ABA so I went ahead and wrote a letter to SRD and copied the ABA. For all hunters out their not a member of AFGA, or the ABA feel free to do the same.

The first part is the reply I recieved from Brent, the last part if the email I had sent to SRD.

Quote:
Hi Justin -- thanks for taking the time to look the info over and give your thoughts. Good to see people who want to get involved.
Just wanted to clarify a couple of things. Not all 3 things will affect bhtg negatively. Proposal #1 actually will increase days for bhtrs. A good thing.
Proposal #2 (allowing crossbows in the archery season) will definately impact you and the rest of the bhtrs in this province. We and our harvest is monitored by Rob and the rest of SRD. We are currently allowed 15% of the overalll harvest. IF our numbers/harvest increase within our current ranks we will be restricted to that 15% (thru draws or shortened seasons) - has happened before in areas and for different species. IF crossbows are allowed stats show that many rifle hunters will buy a crossbow to use in this new opportunity (for them - not for us). You are right about the similarities of the conventional bow and the crossbow in range/success rate. BUT if a pile of rifle hunters with crossbows flood our archery seasons and zones we WILL be on a draw - has been confirmed in several meetings with Rob and his counterparts. This does not relate to a better opportunity for bhtrs - the contrary I am afraid. You will go from a general mule deer tag in the archery season to a draw. You will wait 7-8 yeras for an antelope draw instead of 3-4. Harvest rate will skyrocket for antelope - I have been getting a pile of concern from bhtrs in the Southeast. Crossbows can be used in general and primitive weapon seasons now - there is plenty of opportunity for them. Our neighbors in saskatchewan have been told that if crossbows are allowed there and their harvest/numbers increase the bhtrs will be lumped into the general season - HUGE loss of opportunity.

You are correct in the muzzleloader season -- but maybe the general season hunter should give up something as well as us bhtrs. Mnay would rather see a "Primitive Weapons" season -- current muzzleloaders are no where near primitive but until definitions of what a primitive muzzleloader is, we have to live with what we have now.

There is only so much pie out there and the pie is 100% split right now. If someone wants more, one of us has to give up some of their pie.

thanks for your time again

brent

----- Original Message -----
To: rob.corrigan@gov.ab.ca
Cc: bcwatson@telusplanet.net
Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 11:14 AM
Subject: ABA Questionnaire in Response to SRD Proposals

Rob,

I have recently received a copy of the questionnaire from the Alberta Bow hunters Association. With the survey I received a summary of the three proposals for change that most effect bow hunters in Alberta. Within the message from Brent Watson, the 2010 ABA President he states that these proposed changes are seriously going to affect archery hunting in Alberta, and not for the better. While I agree that if the proposed changes to the hunting rules and regulations are put into place they will affect hunting opportunities, but I disagree that the impact will be negative.

The first proposed change is to the season start date for WMU’s that archery traditionally starts after the labor day long weekend. While I agree that the start date changing each year may cause some confusion, so does the day that it follows. Labor day changes each year, as does our August Civic Holiday, and Thanksgiving. While it should not be that hard to figure out, I do agree that if the start date of the season was changed to the first of the month it would make thing simpler. What has not been addressed is that changing the start of the season to the first day of September, rather than the first Wednesday after Labor day is adding opportunity to the season. The additional days of opportunity can add between 0 and 7 days to a bow hunters season. While it may not seem like a lot, 7 days is an additional ~10% to the archery only season.

The second proposed change is for the addition of cross bows to the regular archery season. There is some concern and debate whether crossbows are more effective or lethal than traditional archery gear. However the same debate can be had over the effectiveness of traditional recurve or long bows versus compound bows. It really is a pointless debate, as the effective range and the projectile for compound and cross bows are nearly identical. Also, as the information from SRD shows, the success rate of cross bows is similar to traditional archery. As a group, the ABA seems concerned that the addition of cross bows to the archery only season will somehow take away opportunity to hunt. Yet, at the same time, are proposing to add up to 7 days to the archery season, for simply keeping a fixed day on the calendar as the season start, as opposed to a fixed day of the year. I do not believe that the addition of cross bows to the archery season will impact my opportunity as a bow hunter.

The third proposed change is for the addition of a primitive weapons or muzzle loader season. One of the options for the change is to add a muzzle loader season to the last part of October, that would utilize the General License. This really would not take away any opportunity for archer hunters, but would add an opportunity for the other primitive weapons hunters. Additionally, though it is not proposed, a primitive weapons season could be added for the first week of December.

While it may not seem like it, I am an avid bow hunter. I spend as may day possible in the field as I can. Originally the opportunity for additional day is the field is why I took up bow hunting. The province saw fit to add an archery season to increase the opportunity to hunt in the early season in rural areas, that many have taken advantage off. I think it would be fair to increase these opportunities for groups with other interests such as muzzle loaders, or to allow groups with similar interests, such as cross bows to share in our opportunities. Hunting is a sport on the decline in most parts of Canada, and without changing the regulations to allow additional opportunity I believe that it will continue to decline.

Thank you for you time.

Sincerely,

Justin ****