View Single Post
Old 09-17-2007, 11:11 PM

Especially with the heavy bullets but not just limited them, the WSM case is designed to feed through a short action. No bullet with an OAL longer than 2.8" will feed through the short action and eject a live round. (there are some fixes to this, but requires modification to the mag box and feed ramp, and maybe gains you .15") To get to the 2.8" OAL the bullet has to be stuffed so far down into the case that it uses up alot of case capacity, especially with the longer, heavier bullet. (not as much as a problem with the 270WSM shooting 130's)The reason I personally shoot a Magnum cartridge is to push a heavier bullet faster, not a light bullet faster. I also shoot a plain ole' 7mm rem. mag, pushing a 175 grain bullet at 3000 FPS. I punch paper out to 1k with this gun. There is no way that the 7mm WSM can do this out of a short action (2.8" OAL) and eject a live round with a 175, or a 168 for that matter. With that long 175 jammed so far down into the case of the WSM you simply cannot get enough powder in the case to have the same performance as the 7mm Remington Mag, the same goes for the 300 WSM vs the 300 Win Mag with bullets 180 grains+.

I agree, out of all of the short mags, the 270WSM has the best potential out of the short action calibers, shot out of a short action.

Last edited by LongDraw; 09-17-2007 at 11:20 PM.