View Single Post
Old 03-08-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen d. View Post
The Supreme court rules that Quebecs Bill 101 violated the federal constitution and the Quebecs own charter of human rights.
English speaking canadians of that province were told that "Too Bad" by premier Bourassa and promptly invoked the notwith-standing clause to over rule the high court.

Alberta and its Western allies should be looking to opt out of the offical lanquage act just like Quebec did.
I remember that. Pi553d me off at the time. Of course, the notwithstanding clause is a temporary measure, and what ended up happening was that the law got somewhat mitigated by subsequent bills. These days you'll see a lot of bilingual signs and such, albeit only *inside* of restaurants and stores and yadda.

But Alberta at the west are already out of the official languages Act in terms of what the notwithstanding clause affected in Québec. You just don't have enough of a linguistic minority to push for bilingualism for the same things as you see us arguing about over here. This may change at some point in the future, but I don't think that French will be the problem at that point...

Probably the only English-speaking, French-Canadian lefty greeniac in Montréal with a 2008 Winchester M70 in .270. Probably.