View Single Post
Old 03-07-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
I just noticed the sideways smear with the implication that being a conservative minded person somehow meant I was a racist homophobe. How original...never would have guessed that was coming. I'm all for gays getting married. (I'm against men and women getting married though...) I was just at a gay wedding this summer where two of my friends got married. And I don't support racial discrimination either.

Freedom and Liberty are very much entwined in the economic model one lives under. For you to think that liberty has nothing to do with how much of my property the government decides I can keep is assinine. It has everything to do with liberty and freedom.

Funny that you should mention the malleability of the word "liberty".

"When words lose their meaning, people lose their freedom." Confucius
Okay, In hindsight, I can see how you'd see my statement as a smear. I didn't mean it that way, I was just sort of hitting on some of the issues that the New Left have (or do) backed, versus the taxes argument. To me, being taxed to pay for universal healthcare has nothing to do with liberty, it has to do with good citizenship. But I feel that, until I can walk down the street with my wife and not have people distressed over the fact that we're not the same colour, or b***ching about gay marriage (though that argument *should* be over) or any one of a tonne of issues like that, then there are liberties issues that can't be ignored.

We're just looking at the issue from two completely different, non-compatible viewpoints.

Probably the only English-speaking, French-Canadian lefty greeniac in Montréal with a 2008 Winchester M70 in .270. Probably.