Thread: Sheep Part 3
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
You are assuming they'd accomplish the same thing...I don't think an extended wait would accomplish anything in regards to increasing ram numbers or age. How could it? Ya, a draw is the short-term answer if that is the problem.
The reason the wait would work is if there are hunters taking smaller rams every oppurtunity. Don't know the breakdown as that data isn't available (I suspect it will be at some time). Also if there are x number of hunters and you remove any % of them the harvest numbers will be reduced, don't know by how many but it will happen.

Unfortunatley draw and short term solution don't usually go hand in hand. My suspicion is that there is a problem and a solution will be implemented and we are all going to be ****ed when it happens.

"If" it is decided more big rams need to be on the mountain the first solution should be removal of non resident tags (sorry outfitters). I favor some graduated wait whether it be by age (difficult but I think would be effective if it could work), graduated easy to do but limiting the longer you go, not sure it would really affect anyone on the total number shot in a life time but would limit the every oppurtunity guy (not sure how many of them exist either). The most important decision that should be made however is to make sure that the heirarchy of the Management Plan be enforced limiting non residents.

Don't get me wrong I think there are a lot of things like habitat restoration and possibly predator control (tricky one that has to have a real good plan in place) that have to be used as well but when you look at the % of rams taken out of the herd by hunters we have to assume that we are going to have to be part of a solution as well; the numbers force that to be the case.