Thread: Sheep Part 3
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2010, 10:33 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
What we need is to allow SRD biologists to do their jobs without interference from politicians and outside interest groups.
That scares the heck out of me. It's often the special interest groups that keep the bios in line. Not all bios have the best interest of hunters at heart and without special interest groups to keep them in line, we'd be in a heap of trouble. The special interest groups just need to be accountable to their members and only bring forward ideas agreed upon by the membership. I think this ill-conceived 5-year wait is a classic example of how out of touch some of the bios can be.

SLH, even you have to agree that predators and habitat are limiting factors for our sheep populations. Sure, there could be others but addressing these first seem prudent as they have the least impact on hunters and from the studies I've read, they are likely to have to most positive results for our sheep too. So many people in this thread are resigned to the fact that we have to chose one of the ideas that restrict hunter opportunity. I say why? My idea is to quit rolling over and playing dead and stand up for what's right on this one and from my perspective, right is not taking away hunting opportunity. It was interesting to see how quickly that SRD backed away from the 5-year wait when they faced a bit of opposition and where challenged to provide some evidence that it would work. That indicates to me that hunters may not be the real problem...it was just an easy solution for SRD. Sorry, but I'm not willing to accept everything they shove at me. Loss of hunter opportunity should be the last resort...not the first. That's my idea.

Quote:
Finally when something happens with the likes of the orginal picture on this thread it is our resposibility to try and educate and be proactive.
Maybe our responsibility should be to congratulate a fellow hunter for working hard and shooting a legal ram and stop belittling his accomplishment. Or is that the education part you we talking about? We should educate hunters to quit feeding on their own and be more proactive in celebrating our fellow hunters' successes. Please tell me that's what you meant.