View Single Post
Old 01-23-2010, 05:30 PM

I hunt with a large group of guys North of GP every year in the middle of no where. From our camp to the closest cell phone range is about a 20 minute quad ride. A couple of years ago when we were out one of the guys decided after dark that he should go phone the wife, so he jumped on his quad with nothing more than his cell phone and headed out in the dead of winter. That year there was wolf tracks everywhere, but that wasn't a consideration when he left. He said he'd be back in an hour (20 ride each way and 10 minutes on the phone). An hour passed and we were approaching an hour and a half and we were just about to go looking for him, when he came bursting into the tent huffing and puffing so bad that he couldn't even tell us what had happened for ten minutes. Turns out that when he was done on the phone with the wife and on his way back his quad blew a belt, so it was time to start walking back to camp. Armed with nothing more than a cell phone to use as a flashlight he began his journey. Along the journey, he started to hear noises behind him, so he picked up a stick (I guess he was going to fight them off with it if they got Any closer). He pick up his pace a little bit, but the rustling in the bushes kept getting closer and closer. He clams he never saw what it was but it had to be about 10 yards from him, when he turned around, gave the loudest RRRRRRRROOOOOOOOAAAAAAARRRRRR he could muster, threw his stick in the direction of the noise and ran as fast as he could all the way back to camp without ever looking back. After we all laughed our ***** off about the whole situation, it turned into a really good drunk night to calm his nerves, and I'm pretty sure that you will never find him in the bush after dark armed with only a cell phone ever again.