View Single Post
Old 01-05-2010, 01:05 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pika View Post
http://www.huntingfortomorrow.com/HF...20Oct%2008.pdf

Alberta resident hunters account for 70 to 75 percent of the sheep harvest in Alberta. Far too many small rams are being harvested by resident hunters too lazy to get a closer look and determine if a ram is legal. The current fines for shooting a short ram are extremely affordable and do not act as a deterent.

When it goes on draw at least we will get more money from guiding which will be great but in some WMU's residents unfortunately will have to wait up to 30 years for a tag. This will create more opportunities such as creating allocations available to non-residents as well.
Thanks pika....I knew those numbers had to be somewhere. 188 rams harvested in 2007...I thought there would be more.

Those stats sure prove how ineffective that resident hunters really are. Over 50% success for the outfitters and 7% for residents. Considering residents get an extra three weeks to hunt and can hunt WMUs not open to outfitters, it really makes you wonder if the problem is not enough mature rams or just poor sheep hunters. The stats seem to indicate the latter. No question that limited entry draws would lead to more larger rams but I'm not sure it would equal more succcess. It seems there are plenty of legal sheep out there........