View Single Post
Old 05-09-2024, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big zeke View Post
A few steps to follow, in the following order:

1) Hire a competent engineering outfit that has a qualified civil engineer, let him look after the design
2) Apply for the permits with the City, this will require a set of stamped plans
3) Make sure you have completed step 1
4) Hire a contractor that is experienced in installing retaining walls per the engineers design
5) Recheck to ensure that you have completed step 1
6) Hire a competent inspector or get the Engineer of Record to inspect the work as it is being installed
7) Retain copies of the engineering drawings along with a Letter of Compliance issued and stamped by the Engineer of Record

Qualified firms (engg and installation) will carry liability insurance.

I'm expecting to get a lesson on overkill by certain AO experts but having been involved in this work for over 3 decades I stand by my input. Having a retaining wall fail is a big deal, even a small one
This isn't strictly true - the requirement for engineered drawings depends on the height of the wall. You can look at the City of Calgary requirements, but there is usually a maximum height before a structural design is required.

Otherwise anytime someone stacked a few blocks around their garden they would need a permit.

A permit and design is never a bad idea though as it can save you a lot of headache later.