View Single Post
Old 05-05-2024, 04:11 PM

Default Seeking Advice on Backyard Retaining Wall and Fence Project to Level Yard

Seeking guidance for a backyard project! We're planning to build a retaining wall and fence to improve privacy, replace our existing fence, and level out the yard for better usability—especially for the little ones and summer BBQs. I've included some photos of the design and the current state of the fence and landscape.

We're thinking the retaining wall should be about 32 inches high along the part of the fence that runs parallel to the sidewalk, tapering off as the fence turns towards the house. It will also taper off gradually to the ground level near the vehicle gate in the alley. We intend to keep the current chain link vehicle gate and man gate beside the garage. The new fence will be built with 6-foot-tall MicroPro Sienna treated lumber, and the retaining wall may use 4 x 6 pressure-treated lumber stacked horizontally.

We'll level the yard to match the grade at the man gate by the house, making the area more functional. Any advice on the project, including tips or alternative construction methods, would be greatly appreciated. We're planning on using MicroPro Sienna treated lumber, gravel backfill, and weeping tile for optimal drainage. If anyone has resources or documentation on best practices for this kind of work, please share!

I'm a seasoned DIYer, but this project is a first for me. As a Journeyman Electrician, I'm used to following codes and guidelines, but any extra help specific to this project would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your insights!

P.S. I'll definitely need some privacy when I'm butchering game and cleaning skulls—wouldn't want the neighbors thinking I'm auditioning for a horror movie!

This is the style of fence / retaining wall I would like to build, but have the top of the fence all on one level:

The Following images are the existing fence that I would like to replace, except I will plan to keep the existing vehicle gate and man gate in the back alley:

Thanks again for all your help!

Last edited by shootermcgavin; 05-05-2024 at 04:17 PM.